Thursday, April 15, 2010

Some Like It Hot 1959

At first I was absolutely dreading watching this movie. I thought "oh god, this is going to be another horrible old black and white movie." And holy shit, I was so wrong. I not only laughed my ass off, I cried my eyes out. I never realized how truly talented Marilyn Monroe was until I saw this movie.

(1) The plot is interesting. It takes place during the bootlegging time. Two musicians work in an illegal club and accidentally witness a murder. The two of them disguise themselves as girls and travel to Florida so they don't get whacked. While they are there one of them falls in love with Marilyn Monroe and their secret is out. The ending is actually ambiguous now that I think about it.

(2) Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon and Marilyn Monroe. Shall I say more? First let's start with Tony Curtis-- his brilliant portrayal of three characters one so different than the next. Jack Lemmon is the most believable woman I have ever witnessed. And Marilyn Monroe's sincerity is amazing to see.

(3) Originally this movie was going to be in color. But the make up for the drag scenes was too harsh for colored film stock and they decided to shoot the movie in black and white. I actually like this about the movie. The black and white makes it feel more like a gangsta movie in the beginning and sets the stage for the rest of the film. I'm trying to think of anything else that made the movie stand out. But the film is a typical Classical Hollywood Film.

(4) Overall-- I never laughed so hard in my life. Jack Lemmon is the most hilarious comedian ever. And if you have not seen this movie, then I suggest you rent it and give it a fair chance. I too was dreading it at first but I overall enjoyed it. It's definitely in my top ten all time favorite movies!!

No comments:

Post a Comment