Thursday, April 8, 2010

Contemporart Movie #2: Alice in Wonderland Tim Burton

I love Tim Burton and I was uber excited to be seeing this in 3D IMAX. I never really enjoyed the story of Alice in Wonderland but I was more excited to watch it for it's aesthetic value and use of German Expressionism that Burton is so famous for.

(1) Alice returns to Underworld and thinks she is dreaming. She doesn't accept the fact that she has been returned to fight the jabberwocky. She comes around realizes shes not dreaming and kills the jabberwocky. She then goes home--- there's a lot more too it but this will do. What bothered me the most was that unless you knew the "first" Alice in Wonderland then you would be lost and I was mostly lost.

(2) Alice the main character was so unlikeable. I wanted her to die the entire movie. She was boring, stiff, annoying, stupid and just boring. Helena Bonham Carter was amazing though. She really knows how to act. She was suppose to be the villian and she was the most likeable character. I don't know if that was a script problem or just that she's so talented. Even Anne Hathaway was bad in this movie. She was so stagnant.

(3) As always Tim Burton's mise-en-scene was beautiful. The white queen was certainly white and the red queen was certainly red. And the heart shapes that followed the red queen were really well done too. I loved the modernization of everything and the gothic undertones that Tim Burton brings to his films. But I did find the 3D graphics a little distracting.

(4) Overall I was majorly disappointed in this movie. I thought it could be so much better and I was expecting so much better. I give it a 2 out of 5. It looses points because the characters were unrelatable and unlikeable. It was too dark and just not what I was expecting. Out of all the movies I've reviewed so far this one I hate the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment