Thursday, February 26, 2009

Rashomon (1950)

This is another one where I really don't know where to begin. Just so absolutely incredible, dare I say BETTER than the book? I am just watching so many great films lately I can't even complain. I used to hate foreign films but now they really don't bother me. Who cares? I barely read the subtitles anyway, I was too interested in looking at the film because it was gorgeous.

(1) The plot of Rashoman is quite interesting. It's four witness testimonies about a crime that was committed in the woods. Each share a different perspective of what actually happens. The purpose of this is to realize their are many different versions of the truth and sometimes the actual truth will never be known. Although it's the same "scene" repeated over and over again-- it's told different each time which makes the narrative structure extremely interesting.

(2) It's hard to judge acting when the actors are speaking in another language. You can't hear them express emotion but you can try to see it. But still it's too hard to critique. I don't have any complaints though so that is a good sign.

(3) There is no mise-en-scene really to discuss because it's the narrative structure that really impacts the movie but I noted the long depth of field used frequently to allow the audience to clearly see the big picture rather than focusing on one particular thing.

(4) It's quite interesting to watch and it's quite poignant. Overall I am going to give this movie a 5 out of 5. It's worth watching and seeing to really understand why it's considered a significant art film.

No comments:

Post a Comment