Thursday, February 26, 2009

Citizen Kane

WARNING: This post doesn't follow my usual structure. I wrote from the heart on this one rather than analytically.

Just growing up in today's society, you hear of this movie that oh there's this guy and his last words are Rosebud and you spend the whole movie trying to figure out what it is and at the end you realize it's his sled. You hear that as a kid and you are like, that sounds really stupid. Why would anyone want to see that?

Well now as a film major, and having the capability to analyze a film, I finally watched this movie. Words cannot describe how amazing of a movie this is. From beginning to end. There wasn't a moment that I was bored. And trust me, I was very skeptical, I had to read two articles beforehand that went on and on about how experimental it was, how anti Hollywood it was, and I thought to myself, great another experimental film, lame. But I was completely and utterly amazed.

First of all, lets just ignore the brilliance of mise-en-scene and lighthing and all that jazz and talk about one of the most underrated actors of our time. Orson Welles. He had to play Kane, throughout many generations. And I still cannot believe the old Kane was the same person who played the young Kane. I mean, he was just out of fucking control brilliant. His presence, his speech, his body language, his everything. I still can't believe how incredible he was.

What to talk about next? I can sit here and talk on and on about depth of filed and mise en scene which were all amazing. But really what drove this movie to utter perfection was Orson Welles.

If you have no seen this movie. I pity you. It is considered one of the best movies of all time, and I finally realize why. You must go see it and you too will sit in awe of just how amazing it is.

Overall I give it a 4.8 out of 5. (Whaaaat how can you do that??) I would give it 5 out of 5 but I am subtracting very little points because the movie is a tad long and there is one continuity flaw and as poignant as the ending is--a sled?? really?

No comments:

Post a Comment