Thursday, January 1, 2009

Contemporary Movie #1: Twilight

I have been waiting for this movie since the summer where I read all four books in less than two weeks (I'm a loser-- I know). I even bought the T shirt for the movie when I bought the fourth book. Needless to say I was beyond excited. And although many people adored the movie, it's nowhere near as good as the book (is it ever?)

(1) The storyline is simple. Vampire falls in love with non-vampire-- what do they do? They fall in love anyway and live happily ever after and fight other vampires. Unfortunately like most novel to movie scripts, a lot of background is cut out. You didn't really truly understand Bella in this movie where in the book you know her so well you are practically her. You breathe, sleep and cry with her. In the movie she was just some character. Unlike the book though, the movie really portrayed her friends at the school brilliantly. I had a deeper apprecaition for the characters now.

(2) Robert Pattinson was amazing no doubt. Gorgeous, perfect, simply just magical. I get chills when I think about it-- probably because he's so handsome but this acting-- well-- he's much better than Kristen Stewart who was dull. Anyone could have played that part. And she did not do Bella justice, you didn't feel her pain, or sorrow. She brought no emotions to the screen. In the book you cry your eyes off and in this movie you just want to her die. Sadly, I did not like the girl who played Alice either. And Alice is my favorite character in the novels, she just didn't have the bubbliness of Alice. She was just too-- nonhyper.

(3) The movie itself was quite dark which I can't decide if I liked or didn't like. I must say, I was highly disappointed with the meadow scene. That is the dream that Stephanie Meyer had that embarked her into writing these novels and they just failed to deliver. There was no magic at all. When you saw him in the sun, it didn't even look that different. I wanted a body like a diamond like Emma Frost from X-men. SOMETHING. Not specks of light. I think they did a good job though making Forks out to be the gloomiest place on earth though. Overall- the mise-en-scene isn't that noteworthy.

(4) If I hadn't of read the books, I would have been lost at certain points. My mother was confused a lot and I had to keep telling her things from the novel to get her to understand. As usual the book is better than the movie and I recommend people reading the series and then seeing the movies.

I guess I would rate is a 3 out of 5. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't amazing. And Robert Pattinson is just gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment