Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Birds

I am deeply and utterly petrified of birds. I do not know when this phobia started exactly, but this movie does not help.

(1) The plot begins like any other cheesy romance story. Melanie Daniels is a pracitcal joker and tries to play a joke on Mitch Brenner. Things go horribly wrong when she gets attacked by a seagull, therefore she is forced to stay in the small town of Bodega Bay where Mitch lives. While she is there the birds decide to go crazy, attack the village and take over the entire town.

(2) Surprisingly I had no real issues with acting in this film. Tippi Hendren I know had to suffer a lot emotionally and physically for this movie and she did a brilliant job. I really did enjoy watching her. The only annoying actress was the little girl who played Katy. But Suzanne Planchett was also a brilliant actress. It's very hard to be scared convincingly and everyone did a great job at it.

(3) I guess the actual Birds count as scenery. I mean, they were very fake looking in some scenes but very realistic in others. It was more of the sound of the birds chirping and pecking and the ruffling of feathers, that was scary to me. I feel bad that Tippi Hendren had to wear the same outfit the entire movie. I feel like Bodega Bay should have had one dress shop where she could have bought a new outfit, I mean she was abke to buy pajamas. The use of the color green is interesting to note too. The lovebirds and Tippi Hendren's dress were both green indicating that maybe this was the cause of what was happening in Bodega Bay.

(4) It's considered to be a classic Hitchcock film and I know why. It's not that movie is scary but it is suspenseful. The romantic love story is subdued and is just a plot device. I would give the movie a 3 out of 5. They loose points on unrealistic looking birds and not giving us a clear reason as to why the birds went crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment